Are you looking for a church home?
Do you love learning about the Bible, theology, and Church history?
Do you want to know more about the theology that your child is learning at Trinity Lutheran School?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, an excellent opportunity awaits you!
On Saturday, September 8, Pastor Marcus Baikie will begin teaching a Lutheran Inquiry & Adult Instruction class in the Trinity Lutheran Church undercroft (social hall). The class will convene on the second and fourth Fridays of each month, September to May, from 3:30 to 4:45 PM. After each class participants are invited to come see and hear Lutheran theology “in action,” so to speak, at Trinity’s 5:00 PM evening divine service.
The class is completely free, and an intention to join the Lutheran Church is not a pre-requisite. All are welcome: inquirers (those who are simply interested in learning), catechumens (those who are preparing for baptism or confirmation in the Lutheran Church), and Lutherans who just want a refresher course. If you’re not sure which category you’re in, that’s fine! Pastor Baikie would be happy to speak with you about that. In the meantime, come ready to search the Scriptures, learn about the Lutheran Church, and grow in godly wisdom.
So, what exactly is covered in a Lutheran Inquiry & Adult Instruction class?
The six chief parts of Dr. Martin Luther’s Small Catechism give the basic sequence and content of the class: the Ten Commandments, the Apostles’ Creed, the Lord’s Prayer, the Sacrament of Holy Baptism, the Office of the Keys, and the Sacrament of the Altar. However, you might be surprised at just how much can be included under these headings! Sub-topics include…
- Vocation & the Three Estates: Family, Church, & State
- The Two Kingdoms: God’s Reign on Earth through the Law & the Gospel
- The Three Uses of God’s Law
- Saving Doctrine: The Content of the Christian Faith
- Orthodoxy & Doxology: Lutheran Doctrine & Lutheran Worship
- The “Catholic” Faith: What Does This Mean?
- The Reformation
- Praying as a Child of God
- “The Mutual Conversation and Consolation of the Brethren”: Life in the Household of Faith
- Birth from Above & the Gift of the Holy Spirit: Baptismal Regeneration
- The Blessing of Private Confession & Absolution
- Christ for You in the Lord’s Supper: Forgiveness, Life, & Salvation
- Communion & Church Fellowship
… and more. If there’s anything in particular that you’re curious about, you will have ample opportunity to ask Pastor Baikie questions— in advance, or as they come to you during class.