Are you looking for a church home?
Do you love learning about the Bible, theology, and Church history?
Do you want to know more about what your child is learning at Trinity Lutheran School?
The Lutheran Doctrine Class is for you! All are welcome: inquirers (those who are simply interested in learning more about what the Bible teaches), catechumens (those who are preparing for baptism or confirmation in the Lutheran Church), and Lutherans who just want a refresher course. An intention to join the Lutheran Church is not a pre-requisite. If you’re not sure which category you’re in, that’s fine! Pastor Preus would be glad to speak with you. In the meantime, come ready to search the Scriptures, learn about the Christian faith, and grow in godly wisdom.
The six chief parts of Dr. Martin Luther’s Small Catechism provide the basic sequence and content for the class: the Ten Commandments, the Apostles’ Creed, the Lord’s Prayer, the Sacrament of Holy Baptism, the Office of the Keys and Confession, and the Sacrament of the Altar. You might be surprised at just how much can be included under these headings. Sub-topics include…
- Vocation & the Three Estates: Family, Church, & State
- The Two Kingdoms: God’s Reign on Earth through the Law & the Gospel
- The Three Uses of God’s Law
- Saving Doctrine: The Content of the Christian Faith
- Orthodoxy & Doxology: How Doctrine & Worship Go Together
- The “Catholic” Faith: What Does This Mean?
- The Reformation
- Praying as a Child of God
- “The Mutual Conversation and Consolation of the Brethren”: Life in the Household of Faith
- Birth from Above & the Gift of the Holy Spirit: Baptismal Regeneration
- The Blessing of Private Confession & Absolution
- Christ for You in the Lord’s Supper: Forgiveness, Life, & Salvation
- Communion & Church Fellowship
… and more.
If there’s anything in particular that you’re curious about, you will have ample opportunity to ask Pastor Preus questions— in advance, or as they come to you during class. If you are interested in attending or would like more information, you can email Pastor Preus or call him at (307) 222-8299.